Tuesday 24 November 2015

Wandering Misfit: Part 2 ... the great escape

     So now you all know where I am, the question just remains as to how I got here. It is as with most strange stories a long one. So I am going to try and break it up a little. I also want to apologize in advance for the fact that I am probably not going to keep to any kind of chronological order.
Sometimes we need to express where we are before we get to how we got there and sometimes we can just explain the how without ever needing the where.

     The first part of our story I think needs to be a little bit about who I am, or at least what has made me the person I have come to be.

     I was born in Scotland, grew up in both Scotland and Australia and have traveled a fair bit in between. Most of that travel has been less a case of itchy feet and more a desperate attempt to find that hallowed place called home. Admittedly I have seen some amazing things in some even more amazing places and I wouldn't trade it now for the world but honestly at the time I wasn't out to see the world I was just looking for somewhere to settle down.

     Before I get cries of "but you are the luckiest person alive", I know that being allowed to live in Australia as well as the entirety of the EU is a blessing that many wish for. Australia is a wonderful country, equal measures of quirky and beautiful. The UK and especially my beautiful native land are safe, civilized and sane. All of that and more was open to me but strangely I never really felt at home.

     In fact only last year I had to return to Australia to get a work visa for China and spending a week in Melbourne made me more depressed than I had been in years. I don't want you to think this is the fault of Melbourne or of Australia as a whole. It is as the old line says "not you but me". For all it's charms and the wonderful people who make it their home Australia only holds old ghosts for me.

     Scotland too, for a long time brought with it memories I would rather have left buried. Nothing terrible, no deep dark secrets, just a spreading sense of unease. So I yearned for somewhere new because the grass is always greener.

     Eventually I simply decided I needed to go completely off the map. A decision which led me to China, the love of my life and some completely unforeseen events.

      Rory McDonald is an online marketer and digital entrepreneur, co-founder of the Online Business Expert and passionate blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to head over to www.digitaldreamlife.com for more tips and information.